José Cortina has more than 30 years of experience in patent, trademark, copyright, licensing and other intellectual property law. He is a registered patent attorney.
As a lawyer, José has worked with businesses across the board: from start-ups to growth-stage companies and large corporations. He blends business-oriented counseling with an emphasis on how the value of intellectual property relates to the client’s unique needs.
He is a go-to counsel to whom other lawyers and business leaders regularly turn to for advice and assistance on significant IP issues.
José enjoys golfing, boxing, and college and pro sports. He is also an avid reader.
José brings a valuable business perspective to his counseling, having served in-house as Chief Operating Officer and General Counsel for BioSignia Inc., one of his long-term clients.
José graduated from The American University with a Bachelor of Science degree in Physics and Distributed Science as well as the Washington College of Law of The American University. He’s also fluent in Spanish and French in addition to English.
• American University (B.S., Physics, and B.S., Distributed Science, 1976)
• American University Washington College of Law (J.D., 1979)
José is a member of the North Carolina, Virginia, Florida and District of Columbia Bars. He is admitted to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office as a registered Patent Attorney. He is also admitted to practice before the Fourth Circuit and the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
José is a member of the American Intellectual Property Law Association, the American Bar Association and the North Carolina Bar Association. He has been frequently named one of North Carolina’s Legal Elite and a North Carolina Super Lawyer in Intellectual Property Law. He is past Chair of the North Carolina Bar Association Intellectual Property Section and currently serves on the Section Council. He is rated “preeminent” in the Martindale and Hubbell directory of attorneys.
States and Districts Admitted to Practice
• District of Columbia (1979)
• Florida (1992)
• Virginia (1981)
• North Carolina (1999)
Courts of Admission
• U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal and Fourth Circuit
• U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
• U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
• U.S. District Court, Western District of North Carolina
• U.S. District Court, Middle District of North Carolina
• U.S. District Court, Eastern District of North Carolina
• American Bar Association
• American Intellectual Property Law Association
• North Carolina Bar Association (Council Member and Officer, Section on Intellectual Property Law)
• Triangle Intellectual Property Law Association
Recognition and Honors
• Legal Elite of North Carolina
• North Carolina “Super Lawyer” – selected by Super Lawyers 2006 – 2008
• Rated “Preeminent” by Martindale-Hubbell
• Authored numerous IP articles and white papers
• Lectures widely to lawyers, business executives and other groups
José is active in various ministries of St. Michael Catholic Church, including the church choir. He has also been a youth team soccer coach and served as a member of the parish Safe Environment Team establishing policies and procedures to safeguard minors.